Genetic test for hair loss

In order to successfully slow down the hair loss and strengthen the hair, it is important to establish a timely diagnosis of a potential medical condition and determine effective therapy. Modern medicine is more and more concentrated on the patient and how to determine individual therapies. Therefore, companies involved with genetic technologies have been working for a long time to find a test for genetic alopecia. And they did - it's one of the first tests of this kind. The test answers the question: What is the best treatment for a patient? This means that the right therapy and treatment method will slow down the hair loss and strengthen the hair.

Alopecia is the medical term for hair loss. There are several reasons for this: hormonal, genetic, hair loss due to the effect of certain drugs, to the lack of certain elements in the body, to autoimmune diseases, stress and certain hairstyles. The most common form is androgenic alopecia, which is hereditary and hormone-induced hair loss.

Humans are 99.9%, equal, but the remaining 0.1% make us different and determine the difference in therapy - what works for one person cannot be successful for another. The development of alopecia is influenced by internal and external factors. Internal factors include genes which we inherited from our ancestors and which play a big role in the development of the pathological condition. Several genes are responsible for the development of alopecia. Therefore, it is important to know your own genes, as the DNA contains important data on the predisposition to the development of alopecia. External factors can accelerate the development of alopecia as they change daily. The combination of genetic traits, such as the genotype and internal factors, and our lifestyle, such as the environment and external factors, form the phenotype which is what is visible. Since the development of alopecia is influenced by various factors, all causes should be treated as a whole.

This genetic test aims to identify the status of the patient's main metabolic pathways involved in the cause and treatment of the most common form of alopecia, androgenetic alopecia, as well as alopecia areata or circular hair loss and telogen effluvium.

Two hours before the genetic test, the patient should not eat, drink or rinse the oral cavity. The test is delivered in a special packaging that includes, among other things, a plastic tube with a cotton stick to swab of the oral mucosa and the sample is sent to the laboratory for genetic testing. Information about the patient's lifestyle is also collected. After a few weeks, the results of the test, which is a combination of genetics and the lifestyle of the patient, will show what works for a particular patient in the alopecia treatment and what does not. In the pharmaceutical laboratory, the preparations are then produced especially for the individual patient. In this way, the patient is not left to cope on his own with the diversity of the drug market, or to find the right drug by the costly method of trial and error. The above procedure shortens the time it would take to develop the most effective treatment for a patient, and more importantly, it also reduces potential side effects.


Would you like to receive our special offers and educational materials?


Dr. Maletić Polyclinic in Daruvar

Trg Kralja Tomislava 2/1, 43500 Daruvar

Telephone: 00385 43 / 335 - 330

Dr. Maletić Polyclinic in Zagreb

Medveščak 23/1, 10000 Zagreb

Telephone: 00385 1 / 7079 - 525


Toscana CMS powered by